Thursday, February 3, 2011

Comfort Zone

One of my babysitting clients (the mom) invited me to a Chinese New Year dinner with her and friends from TC. It was pitched as a great networking opportunity, both in the professional sense and the "Taiwanese connection" sense. When put that way, how could I not take her up on her offer? When I told Andy about it, he immediately said, "That's weird..it's like 'This is my babysitter.'" That he was so quick to label this as an awkward situation made me think twice about my decision, and I suddenly felt super self-conscious. However, he continued, commenting on how I shouldn't cancel, because it's an experience out of my comfort zone, and experiences that happen outside of your comfort zone are the most interesting. Of course, this seems perfectly logical. The first time I visited my high school, this is something that one of the high school teachers told me to do. Back then, I scoffed at it, dismissing it as something that was probably not going to happen, that my niche is where I wanted to be, and where I should be.

For the past 3.5 years, I've been comfortably resting in my comfort zone, only daring to do things that I knew I was good at. This semester has been full of testing the limits of said comfort zone. For example, I never imagined myself taking modern dance or zumba, or being confident enough to speak frequently in class, or even go to dinner with a bunch of strangers and a parent that I babysit for. Yet, as cheesy as it sounds, I feel like life is so much richer.

Chinese New Year's resolution: experiencing new experiences that aren't within my comfort zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment