I think over the course of this past year, I've started coming to terms with my flaws. Like, actually realizing them and actively trying to overcome said flaws (as opposed to just saying things like "Oh, I'm messy," end of story). It should come to no surprise to me (or anyone that truly knows me) that my biggest flaw is that I'm extremely absentminded. That, and I'm always in a hurry (like a true New Yorker). *side note: this whole rushing business also applies to when I'm eating (unfortunate, since it leads to eating more than I can and thus, food comas; as well as awkward conversation as I watch other people eat)* What a terrible combination, no? For example, last week I lost my Barnard ID because, although I had gotten into the good habit of putting my ID card in my wallet, during the transition of taking it out when getting signed in and putting it back in when signing out of other places, I simply find it too much of a hassle to take out my wallet, and put my ID in my wallet. And though this could also be misconstrued as being lazy, I actually just can't seem to take the time to stop for 2 minutes, get that done, and be on with my life, since there are oh-so-many-things-to-be-done, with oh-so-little-time. And so somehow, my free-roaming Barnard ID was lost. And you'd think that I would be able to mentally trace my steps and find my ID. No. Impossible, since I can't seem to recall where I actually last saw the ID. And here I am today, IDless, having spent many a small talks with the 600 security guards, just so I can get into my own dorm.
Alas, I have decided today (after losing Annie's old ID), that I really need to fork over $20 and get a new ID, which ideally will signify the turning of a new leaf, both in the sense that it's a new ID, and that I will be more responsible (keeping my fingers crossed!).
On a related note, I just need to put things back in their proper place (as my mom has thoughtfully reminded me everytime I fail to find something, such as money). In that sense, I should really learn from Andy, who's borderline OCDness drives me crazy sometimes (mostly when I toss all my junk on his desk, and he claims that he can't do work because things aren't where they should be, there's too much clutter, etc). Though, in my defense, I have been working hard on that this summer (mostly for my room, and clearly not for my IDs), and that has been quite successful.
My mantra from now on: I will put things back where they are, and I will slow down.
Thursday, July 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment